- pre-cooked chicken [boiled or left over from a roast]
- chopped veg – I like to use courgette, tomatoes and garlic
- cream cheese
- [optional] grated cheese – if you want to add extra calories!
- herbs – depending on what you have around; rosemary, tarragon, basil, coriander all go well with chicken!
- [optional] egg wash for pastry
Prep time: Sorta Lazy [15-30mins]
- Gently fry off the veg
- Add cooked chicken and stir in cream cheese, herbs and extra grated cheese if using – I usually season with some black pepper.
- Assemble your pie, and pop in the oven – 180 degrees for around 20/40 mins, depending on how good your oven is. Basically you just want the pastry to be a nice golden colour and the filling to be bubbling.
I have a bento obsession!!! These sandwich moulds also double up as a pie mould – the great thing about these are that little hands can pick the whole thing up and they are sealed so the filling won’t fall out.
I used left over chicken from a roast and store bought puff pastry, and usually prepare one in a dish for XO’s dad and myself. If you are baby led weaning, I probably wouldn’t go to the effort of making one of these, as it’s probably too big – I’d just make one up in a regular dish, and if you too are a bento-holic, just cut some shapes out of the puff pastry!
Store bought puff pastry has obviously got salt in it, and cheese is fairly salty, so I’d probably not give this to a very young baby if doing BLW.